Friday, June 18, 2010

My Food Philosophy

I thought a general what-I-eat overview would be fitting for my first post on this new blog!

I believe in real food. The kind that comes from the soil, and from animals, and from cooking. I don't believe in food that comes from chemicals. Or a factory (much, anyway.)

I like organic, when I can get it (and afford it), but my main, solid belief is that of foods which occur in nature. (Or which can be made OUT of foods that occur in nature in my own personal kitchen.) I'm not perfect: I eat cereal from a box (but said cereal is organic, and high in flax). I like sweet things from restaurants that I KNOW have shortening and/or margarine in them. Mark can convince me to buy the occasional Sno-Biz. (I don't even want to think about what's in that.)

But the vast majority of the time, I eat real food. I always cook with real food. It makes me happy. It makes my tummy happy. And it makes my husband happy (even though the bad stuff makes him pretty happy as well ... I'm working on him.)

I don't believe in diets, or fads, or artificial things. You're not going to see any Splenda-infused foods on this blog. You're not going to see anything about Weight Watchers points, or how many calories or fat grams things have. And you're probably going to see a good bit of butter. So if all of that deters you, I apologize. But I very, very, very strongly believe that if we eat real food made out of real ingredients in moderation and in a balanced way, we will be healthy. I just can't see how changing the chemical make-up of something can be good for us.

In the words of the brilliant Michael Pollan (and if you haven't read him, you should...):
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

And there you have it.


(As a completely unrelated side note ... my blog design is currently atrocious. I don't know HTML or anything about CSS. Is there somebody who does, who might be interested in making me a prettier blog design? Pretty please?)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your food philosophy! Looking forward to your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great prespective on food...like the blog

    ReplyDelete